|Publishers||Classic Game Creations |
Packrat Video Games, LLC
|Release Dates||July, 2000|
April, 2015 (re-release)
|Mode||Single player only|
Also known as Ronen's Game Cart, Vaboom!/Vectrace is a bit of an unusual homebrew entry, due to it containing one of the very few racing games for the Vectrex (Vectrace). And it might also seem to be a bit unusual for another Kaboom! clone to be made for the system as well (Vaboom!, as the first clone, Spike's Water Balloons, from the All Good Things cartridge, was released four years earlier). Arguably, this odd pairing of games makes this cartridge still stand out a bit.
Like with Kaboom!, it is the player's job to catch all of the bombs "the man" (as he is called in this version) at the top of the screen drops down with a set of paddles. Unlike with Kaboom! though, the game starts off faster, and if the player misses a bomb, the action keeps right on going, with a paddle being lost, unlike how it will stop with the original before starting over at the previous round. But like the original though, the game will pause in between every successful round. If the player loses all of their paddles the game will end.
Occasionally a bomb will go flying back up the screen towards the man and may even hit him. If this happens, one of the 10 bricks that is supporting the bridge the man is standing on will disappear, and if he is hit 10 times, the bridge will fall and the player will enter a bonus round where the bombs fall very fast, but are worth three times as many points than during a regular round, and if the player misses a bomb during this round it won't count against them.
The man may also drop an occasional diamond that is worth a lot of points if caught, or an X that will cause the player to lose a paddle if caught. However, if the player catches a heart, that will replace a paddle.
- Move paddles left and right -- joystick or D-pad
- Start round -- buttons one or four (Note: the onscreen prompt will instruct the player to press button four in order to start a new round, although button one will also work.)
Vaboom! can also work with a modified Atari 2600 Paddle Controller.
- Move paddles left and right -- dial left and right
- Start round -- button
- Catch bomb: 10 points
- Catch bomb, bonus round: 30 points
- Catch heart: 50 points + paddle reinstated (if applicable)
- Catch diamond: 100 points
The player has a certain amount of time to pass a certain amount of cars during a race before time runs out or the player destroys their car. If the player doesn't occasionally increase their speed, their car will slow down by itself. The race takes place on a three lane road and other cars tend to overlap with each other, making the passing of the cars difficult at times.
The player's speed, car's "shape", score, high score, and time is displayed on the screen.
Whenever the player strikes a car, the shape goes down, which, if it reaches zero, the player loses one of their five cars and they will have to start the race over. The player starts with a shape of 10 with each race.
Cars needed to pass/time in order to proceedEdit
- Level 1: 45 seconds/35 cars
- Level 2: 35 seconds/65 cars
- Level 3: 25 seconds/30 cars
- Move left and right -- joystick or D-pad left and right
- Speed up -- joystick or D-pad up
- Slow down -- joystick or D-pad down
This game will also work with a modified Atari 2600 Paddle Controller.
- Move left and right -- dial left and right
- Speed up -- button
- Passing car: 10 points
- Passing new cars in round 3: 30 points
- This cartridge was originally available through the Vectrex carts website until John Dondzila took it over from Mark Shaker and was available from his Classic Game Creations site until late 2013, as Dondzila stated that he did not have the time to produce cartridges any more along with working his regular day jobs. Packrat Video Games, LLC officially took over Classic Game Creations's library and re-released the cart in April, 2015.
- Creator Ronen Habot's feedback from people when they heard he was doing another Kaboom! clone resulted with them pointing out that there was already a Kaboom! homebrew for the Vectrex. But the two games play a bit differently.
- Due to a bug, Vaboom! will crash at level 19, which the man will stop dropping bombs, only dropping hearts, diamonds, and Xs.
- Originally Habot had offered on his web site that whoever made it to the end on Vectrace could send in a photo of the win screen and he would put it up on his site. However, as of 2014, only one score has ever gone up, his site hasn't been updated in many years and e-mails sent to him come bouncing back.
- Both games also work with the Vecdrive controller, which is a hacked Atari 2600 paddle controller.
- Ronen Habot's Vectrex page
- Both games running with a Vecdrive controller in use (video)
- Packrat Video Games, LLC Vaboom!/Vectrace page
This article was featured from March - April, 2014.